Musings

Friday, January 27, 2006

Lost and Found


“Enter the world of high-definition vision”…

So went on an advertisement of a popular eye contact lens provider…Having been comfortably bespectacled for almost ten years, I decided to try out contact lenses instead. Little did I know that it was just a beginning of a series of interesting experiences!

After a preliminary eye check-up and evaluation, the optometrist gave me my pair of contact lenses. There I was, struggling to wear the two flimsy pieces in my eyes…When I was taught how to wear it, the first thought that came to my mind was “God, how can I do that to my own eyes?!?! I’d rather just wear a pair of glasses and get done with it!” Nevertheless, I mustered all “courage” and learnt to wear it…Did take quite some time to put it on initially…But I was told by regular lens users that it would soon become a simple routine once I master the procedure…

Thus I entered the world of high-definition vision…I thought I was slowly getting used to looking through the contact lens...More than the vision, it was the insecurity about not wearing glasses, that made me find it difficult to adjust. Even for a not-so-high power, I am one of the kinds of people (I hope there are more people like that in the planet!) who turn psychologically blind without wearing spectacles.

Things were improving, visually and psychologically, when one fine morning I wiped my eyes inadvertently and looked up at the computer monitor, to find it blurred. I knew something had gone wrong…Thought the lens had moved from its position and decided to check it out. Apparently, one of my lenses had fallen out of the eyes!! I tried searching for the lost lens with the help of people around, but in vain.

Now, this was pretty strange to me…I was not aware that something as flimsy as that could actually drop out of your eyes without your knowledge…My admiration for spectacles started increasing by the minute…Come on, your glasses don’t drop down that easily and even if they do, you wont be unaware of the happening! And you don’t have the pain of rinsing and cleaning your glasses every time you wear it. You cannot even cry with freedom, when you wear a pair of lenses…That’s so atrocious! Above all, you can travel around with glasses, bearing the brunt of the city’s pollution, without causing any negative impact on your spectacles.

All that said it was a tad disappointing to lose something that I had just started using. Either ways, I was almost firm that I would not take any initiative to replace the lost lens. After all this experience, I did not want to make life complicated for such a trivial thing, especially when I knew I had another easy option of continuing to be bespectacled. I mean, who cares, after all?

I reached home after such an eventful day. My parents had not reacted much about the whole incident. I am sure they wanted to say “You should have been more careful” or something of that sort, but thankfully they did not want to add insult to injury!

Despite all this, somehow, my gut feeling kept telling me that I had not lost the lens. Not that I was desperate to find it out though! Anyway, I took a closer look at my eye to see what the hell was persistently irritating it the whole day…I carefully rotated my upper eyelid with a finger and……..out came the “lost” lens!!! I literally squealed in disbelief….It had been in the safest possible place all day and we were searching for it everywhere else!!! God knows, how I had been alright with a foreign body stuck to my eyelid all day!

OK…so now I got back my lens…and with it comes a lot more requirements of having to maintain it properly….Kudos to all successful lens users!! And I am really in awe with my beloved pair of glasses. Perhaps one day, I will be in awe with my lens too….

3 Comments:

  • At 4:16 AM , Blogger Nara said...

    Thanks for sharing the info..I also thought of going contact-lens..now after your experience..slowly retracting..

     
  • At 2:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:09 AM , Blogger Jaya said...

    Hi Nithya,

    Well, I am one of those people who's been comfortably wearing lenses for the past, what 10 years?? And I must say they have been absolutely non-troublesome.. U know me... I have done everything possible with them.. slept with them on(my optometrist almost cursed me that my retina would get scratched!), cried away to glory n during my cooking exploits, even rubbed my eyes after cutting mirchi! all said n done, its been a very easy experience and mainly u have the mental block that something's in ur eye... In fact they r sooo comfy that u shdnt think u have anything in yr eyes.. Come on babe, I went swimming with them!!! So, just give it a chance n u'll relish the experience!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home